Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Riding Bike...Are you kidding me!

We have tried for a couple years now to get Bryson to ride a bike.  We figured it would be possible...someday...but it was becoming such a chore for all of us.  This summer we saw glimpses of him getting his balance but he just couldn't do it for very long.  Then finally last night this is what we saw...

We are not finished but I would say he has crossed a huge hurdle.  We have to figure out how to get him to be able to get on the bike, get his foot in place, and get started without our help, but I'm hoping he will instinctively figure that out on his own.  (If any of you have any ideas on how we might teach him I would be up for that.)  He can also only turn one way right now.  When he tries to turn the other way he falls.  All in all I'm pretty proud of my boy!  As with a lot of physical activities in his life it took him longer then most kids but this is just another stepping stone in his life that when he is struggling to accomplish something else he can look back and see that even with one leg he learned to ride a bike.   AMAZING!
(On a side note.  I know this blog is just about Bryson's journey, but for family out there, Reagan also learned how to ride her bike down the road last night.  I said ride, not break!  Right now she just falls at the end and hopefully someone is there to catch her:))

5 comments:

amy said...

Wonderful job, Bryson!!

You know...my niece Izzy is the one who had her leg amputated and is now learning how to use her new leg (she loves it! ..and they made the shell, hot pink, just for her!) ..her daddy used a long zip-tie to go over her artificial foot and the bicycle pedal so it'll stay put and she can start up on her own. Works like a charm!

And, I can most relate to your daughter's experience of first bike rides. That's exactly how I stopped, too! LOL

Beau and Nicole Hummel said...

Amy, could you tell me exactly how she starts. We have something on Bryson's pedal that his foot slips into, but we are not sure how he can get started on his own. I guess I'm wondering if she starts with her prosthetic foot up or down. Anything you could tell me would be great.

amy said...

I asked Jenny (my sister) and she is telling me that Izzy starts with her natural foot up on the pedal so that she can use it to pump down to begin. Also, she told me yesterday she is no longer using the zip-tie... even though her artificial foot slips off occasionally, she seems to manage fairly well. Then again, Izzy still uses training-wheels and so, I'm sure that makes a big difference... best wishes to Bryson -- I'm sure he'll master the technique in no time : )

Jodi said...

Way to go, Buddy! AWESOME. :)

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! I have a question about your blog. HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com